Sunday, August 3, 2008

rites of passage/ land and sea

Friday morning I got on the T to go to work and it didn't feel nearly as crowded as usual. for a second I froze and thought, oh crap is today Saturday? Thursday night I took my sister, Emily, to a show at Paradise, so I hadn't got my usual 10 hours of sleep... threw me off a bit.

so I've been thinking about important milestones for someone out on their own for the first time... I didn't have anyone to show me cool places to go to or what the cheapest food for survival was. of course I learned nonetheless, but I'm really happy I have had the chance to show Emily some of the ways of life as a new adult.

go to show in Boston - check.
Photobucket

sneak into 21+ bar - check.
Photobucket

buy first burrito - check.
Photobucket

stay up late for no reason, doing dumb things - check.
Photobucket
(she usually goes to bed by 9:30, not that I can judge.)

live in hip, sometimes sketchy neighborhood in old house with lots of "charm" - check.
Photobucket
oh and get a pet because you can - check.

in other news, I was surprised Manny left us so abruptly. Jason Baywatch is filling the void nicely though. I am happy Ken Griffey Jr was traded to the White Sox because later on in the month I have tickets to see them play the Red Sox. I saw Jr, A-Rod and the other Mariners of the late 90s play at Fenway when I was in high school. I went with my dad and my brother on the commuter rail, we sat in the bleachers and I know somewhere I have a photo of Griffey's back that I took at that game. Randy Johnson pitched and even from far away he looked so tall. Tim Wakefield pitched for us. I bet this game was right around the time that I read the Mike Piazza article I mentioned in my last blog.

it's raining at my house but I'm watching the Red Sox game and there's no rain at Fenway. yesterday Elise and I rode bikes from Newbury St to the aquarium. while we were on our way we could hear thunder and a felt a few drops of rain. but we made it right before the downpour. we were like yes, sweet fist pump and ran inside to get tickets for Dolphins and Whales in 3D. but the people in line in front of us bought the last tickets to the show! all of a sudden we thought oh no we have the worst luck. then we were deciding if we should wait an hour for Sharks in 3D when these 2 boys came over and offered us free tickets to the Sharks show. yes!!! what a great day.
Photobucket
Rhianna and Rob met us there and we passed the hour preparing for the show by eating swedish fish.
Photobucket
Photobucket
the image of the yellow fish above was more gruesome than anything in the movie. I was actually a bit disappointed by that. however I do recommend the movie purely because of the jellyfish that will swim right in front of your face.

this turned into a long blog because I was planning on blogging before I left to go sailing. then it just kept looking more and more like rain. now there is a Red Sox delay. the sky keeps getting blue then really dark. I don't think we'll be sailing today.

No comments: