Thursday, July 31, 2008

from the vault

I'm uncomfortable with a .5 game lead over the Twins and a 1 game lead over the Yankees for the Wild Card. for those of you who are reading to learn about sports, that's not great. I also don't think Manny is leaving... (yet)

yesterday I got Sports Illustrated in the mail. I love getting mail. I forgot I got a free subscription when I signed up for MLB gameday at the beginning of July. in my early-mid teen years I had subscriptions to SI, SI Kids, ESPN Magazine, Chop Talk (the Atlanta Braves magazine), Red Sox Magazine and Cat Fancy... you know, the typical magazines for cool teenage girls.

on page 5 there's a section called the 'SI Vault' that has a blurb about a Sports Illustrated issue of the past. this one has a picture of the cover from May 25, 1998.
Photobucket
I remember that issue and the interview with Mike Piazza. I remember being shocked that he swore. he also said something about the pimple he had between his eyes and called himself a cyclops. the fact that Mike Piazza had pimples made me feel like I could relate to him.

I hadn't thought about Mike Piazza in a while.

also, there's way too much fantasy sports in SI.
Photobucket
since when do fantasy sports count as sports? there's also like a full page in the Metro on fantasy sports now.

No comments: